Ben Dodson

Freelance iPhone & iPad Developer

WikiLocation adds support for 36 locales

Saturday, 28 May 2011

It's been just over a year since I started WikiLocation, a simple REST-ful API to access geocoded Wikipedia articles. During that time, hundreds of developers have made use of the API in mashups, apps, and commercial products.

Today, I'm happy to announce that I've added locale support to the WikiLocation API. This means that the API now provides access to over 3.8 million geocoded articles across 36 different languages. The following languages are now supported via a simple "locale" parameter which can be added to any API call (full details can be found in the WikiLocation API Documentation):

  • ar - 6,273 articles
  • bg - 17,689 articles
  • ca - 128,364 articles
  • cs - 7 articles
  • da - 23,041 articles
  • de - 335,275 articles
  • en - 1,101,616 articles
  • eo - 45,864 articles
  • es - 141,352 articles
  • fa - 15,519 articles
  • fi - 16,494 articles
  • fr - 248,977 articles
  • he - 1 article
  • hu - 25,830 articles
  • id - 16,634 articles
  • it - 149,882 articles
  • ja - 60,780 articles
  • ko - 7,805 articles
  • lt - 33,280 articles
  • ms - 24,628 articles
  • nl - 446,506 articles
  • no - 42,267 articles
  • pl - 166,734 articles
  • pt - 141,814 articles
  • ro - 23,297 articles
  • ru - 190,546 articles
  • sk - 5,451 articles
  • sl - 9,719 articles
  • sr - 52,093 articles
  • sv - 31,790 articles
  • tr - 9,448 articles
  • uk - 96,889 articles
  • vi - 71,375 articles
  • vo - 94,470 articles
  • war - 91 articles
  • zh - 19,828 articles

In addition to these new articles and language filters, I have also updated the WikiLocation.org website with a new visual design which should make it easier to find critical information. Finally, the API has been relocated to a new dedicated server to provide even faster access for your applications.

If you have any feedback or questions relating to the API, please get in touch.

WWDC 2011 Predictions - iOS 5, Lion, and iCloud » « One year on: further thoughts on the Gowalla API